A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Secure Amerca Now right biased and Questionable based on the promotion of conspiracy theories, poor sourcing, a lack of transparency, and failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Poor Sourcing, Conspiracy, Lack of Transparency, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: FAR RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2010, Secure America Now (SAN) is a politically conservative nonprofit group that focuses on United States foreign policy issues. It says its mission is to raise security issues “to the forefront of the American debate.” The current President is Allen Roth, with Mike Huckabee and John Bolton serving as notable board members.
Funded by / Ownership
Secure America Now is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization that does not disclose its donors. According to OpenSecrets, as of 2016, their top donors were Hedge Fund manager Robert Mercer, former Best Buy CEO Brad Anderson, and Best Buy founder Richard Schulz. Donations and a shop that sells conservative-themed merchandise generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Secure America Now has a section called “Projects.” One of the projects is an interactive game called MadLibs (Mad Liberals), where you fill in the blanks like the real game, except all of them are meant to be derogatory toward liberals. Other projects include “Guess Which Democrat” and others meant to denigrate the left. Another section is called “Our Focus,” in which you can sign petitions for the following: Support Our Ally Israel, Support Our Police Officers, Support Building the Wall, Oppose Radical Islamic Terrorism, Support Maximum Sanctions on Iran, Oppose the Impeachment Hoax, among other right-leaning causes.
The website also has a blog section that produces news and commentary with a far-right bias that is often denigrating toward Democrats, such as this 5 Outrageously Hypocritical Democrat Supreme Court Positions. This story does not name an author or hyperlink to external sourcing. They also republish false or unproven information from external sources such as the New York Post: Hunter Biden received $3.5M wire transfer from Russian billionaire: Senate report. In general, Secure America Now holds far-right nationalist views points that are not always factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- “For his first interview as president, Barack Obama chose Arab TV for an apology.” – Mostly False
- “0 deaths, Public Health Emergency Declared” during the “2020 Coronavirus” under President Trump. “1,000 deaths, Public Health Emergency Declared” under President Obama. – Partly False
- VP Biden threatened to withhold $1B from Ukraine to save his son’s job. – False
- Hunter Biden received $3.5 million from the wife of the former mayor of Moscow – Unproven
- List shows brave border agents who have died during the “90+ days Kamala Harris refused to visit border communities – False
Overall, we rate Secure Amerca Now right biased and Questionable based on the promotion of conspiracy theories, poor sourcing, a lack of transparency, and failed fact checks. (12/10/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 06/29/2021)
Last Updated on June 29, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black Main Streetby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WCAXby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/23/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Science.Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 8:00 am