Questionable Reasoning: Propaganda, Poor Sourcing, False Claims, Lack of Transparency, Conspiracies, Hate
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: VERY LOW
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2007, Riposte Laique (“Secular Counterattack” in English) is an extreme right French nationalist website promoting misinformation and anti-Islamic propaganda. According to their about page, “The Riposte Laïque site was created in August 2007 by former hosts of the online journal Respublica. It claims secular and republican principles and brings together patriots of left and right who do not accept the Islamization of their country and the complicit silence of the left and the right in the face of this mortal peril for our values.”
Funded by / Ownership
Israel-based nonprofit organization Riposte Laique owns ripostelaique.com. The website lacks transparency as they do not disclose funding or donors. Donations and the sale of books published by Riposte Laique generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Riposte Laique primarily publishes news and opinion articles from anonymous contributors. Articles are news summaries from other sources, both credible and questionable, with added commentary by the writer. Headlines and article content often contain loaded emotional language that favors the right such as this All have the blood of the victims of the Bataclan on their hands, except Z and Marine. This article explains that politicians who support immigration are responsible for the Paris nightclub attack in 2019, while Far-right Nationalist Marine Le Pen is glorified for her anti-Islamist stance.
Editorially, they clearly state that they are anti-immigration and anti-globalist. The website reflects the views of their founder Pierre Cassen who is described as a “well-known figure in the patriotic sphere. Lover of his country, great slayer of the globalist ideology and the Islamization of France.” Besides promoting Islamaphobia, they also publish misinformation and make false claims such as this Confirmed: the coronavirus is indeed a biological warfare weapon. There is no evidence to support this conspiracy theory. Finally, during the 2020 Presidential election, they frequently promoted the false claims of election fraud committed by Democrats United States: the biggest electoral fraud in history! There has been no evidence of widespread election fraud that could have changed the outcome of the election. In general, Riposte Laique promotes far-right biased, anti-Islamic hate.
Failed Fact Checks
- Muslim migrants from Syria are invading Europe and destroying countries. – False
- They frequently make false claims; see the analysis for examples.
Overall, we rate Riposte Laique extreme right biased and Questionable based on a lack of transparency with funding, frequent publication of propaganda, and conspiracies, demonstratable hate, and numerous false claims. (D. Van Zandt 11/13/2021)
Last Updated on January 12, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am