These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Rabble.ca Left Biased based on story selection that favors the left, as well as advocacy for progressive political causes. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to use of proper sources and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Canada 16/180
Rabble.ca is a non-profit alternative Canadian online magazine founded in 2001. Rabble.ca works in partnership with the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives and the Centre for Social Justice. It features podcasts, videos, and a discussion board called Babble. According to their about page “rabble.ca was built on the efforts of progressive journalists, writers, artists and activists across the country and has a unique role of reporting on stories from civil society while providing a counterbalance to corporate-owned media.” Rabble provides a writers guidelines and Journalistic Policy on the website.
Funded by / Ownership
Rabble.ca is a registered not-for-profit organization. Upon its launch, the website raised $200,000, which included $120,000 from the Atkinson Foundation. The Atkinson Foundation “Provides grants focusing on “early childhood education and development and/or economic justice”. Today the website is funded through “individual and organization donors.”
Analysis / Bias
In review, Rabble is a progressive news and opinion website that occasionally uses moderately loaded language in headlines, and within the articles such as this When does plant and animal species loss become a societal crisis? This story is written by David Suzuki, a respected environmental activist with a Ph.D. in Zoology, that is properly sourced to credible outlets such as Science Direct and the CBC. In fact, all information reviewed on this website it properly sourced to credible media outlets.
Editorially, Rabble presents a progressive left bias with advocacy for the Environment, Feminism, Civil Liberties, Anti-Racism and LGBTIQ. In general, story selection favors the Left, which should not be surprising, as they freely disclaim they are a progressive source.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check by an IFCN fact-checker.
Overall, we rate Rabble.ca Left Biased based on story selection that favors the left, as well as advocacy for progressive political causes. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to use of proper sources and a clean fact check record. (F. Locke Siewert 2/11/2017) Updated (4/19/2019)
Last Updated on July 18, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am