Pseudoscience: Consists of statements, beliefs, or practices that are claimed to be both scientific and factual but are incompatible with the scientific method (unproven, not testable, or opposed to the consensus of traditional science).
Definition: Intuitive Medicine is practiced by a medical intuitive, which is an alternative medicine practitioner who claims to use their self-described intuitive abilities to find the cause of a physical or emotional condition through the use of insight rather than modern medicine. Other terms for such a person include medical clairvoyant, medical psychic or intuitive counselor.
Reasoning: Intuitive Medicine is a pseudoscience that at best can produce a placebo effect. Many medical professionals and psychologists attribute perceived anecdotal successes by medical intuitives to a combination of wishful thinking, confirmation bias, the placebo effect, and regression fallacy associated with self-limiting conditions. Further, Science-Based Medicine called Intuitive Medicine “purely magical thinking” and as “a promotion of a dubious pseudoscientific medical claim.” There currently isn’t evidence that Intuitive healing is possible.
- Intuitive healer
- Clinical Intuition in Family Medicine: More Than First Impressions
- An Experimental Test of Psychic Diagnosis of Disease
Conclusion: Intuitive Medicine is a pseudoscience that lacks evidence it is possible to diagnose through psychic abilities. Although Intuitive Medicine seems harmless it can be dangerous to rely on a Medical Intuitive as it may delay treatment for a serious medical condition. The only positive benefits appear to be through a placebo effect.
Last Updated on November 7, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am