- Overall, we rate the Pennsylvania Capital-Star Left Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to a lack of transparency in disclosing their liberal perspective.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2019, The Pennsylvania Capital-Star is a left-leaning news and opinion website from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. According to their about page, “Capital-Star has emerged as a go-to source for in-depth original reporting, explainers on complex topics feature that ground policy debates, as well as progressive commentary on a range of issues.”
John L. Micek serves as editor-in-chief.
Funded by / Ownership
According to their about page, the Pennsylvania Capital-Star is part of States Newsroom, a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit supported by grants and a coalition of donors and readers. The website is transparent as they link to the States Newsroom donors page listing all donors over $500. Donors include Google Initiatives, Thomas R. Brown Family Private Foundation, and up until 2019, they were a part of the Hopewell Fund. The Hopewell Fund has made donations of 4.9 million to Priorities USA, a Super PAC supporting the Democratic party. Donations to States Newsroom generate Revenue for Pennsylvania Capital-Star.
Analysis / Bias
The Pennsylvania Captital-Star publishes original news reporting on politics and policy from the capital of Pennsylvania. Coverage focuses on the legislature, the environment, and social justice. Articles and headlines promote liberal perspectives through moderately loaded language In search of bipartisanship, lawmakers work to trim the fat in Pa. House. Proper sourcing is used linking to the Pocono Record.
Editorially, the Pennsylvania Capital files their opinion pieces under “commentary.” A review of dozens shows an imbalance of opinions favoring the left. For example, they promote Transgender equality; I’m a pediatrician who cares for transgender kids – here’s what you need to know about social support, puberty blockers, and other medical options that improve lives of transgender youth | Opinion, and advocacy for gun control I’m a physician: Pa.’s Toomey needs to lead the fight for universal background checks. Finally, they frequently report negatively on Republican politicians such as this, So now Republicans are trying to cancel Coke and Major League Baseball | Dick Polman. In general, the news is reported factually; however, op-eds strongly favor a liberal perspective.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Pennsylvania Capital-Star Left Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to a lack of transparency in disclosing their liberal perspective. (D. Van Zandt 4/22/2021)
Last Updated on February 16, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/23/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 23, 2022 at 10:30 am