A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be untrustworthy and should be fact-checked per article. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate NRL News Today as far-right biased and Questionable based on the promotion of anti-abortion propaganda and pseudoscience, as well as a lack of transparency and several failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Propaganda, Pseudoscience, Lack of Transparency, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2010, NRL News Today, or National Right to Life News, is a news website associated with the National Right to Life Committee (NRLC). This national anti-abortion organization states its mission as “Devoted to disseminating information and support for pro-life issues.” Furthermore, the National Right to Life Committee also lobbies to put in place pro-life policies and states its purpose as “to elect pro-life men and women to Congress and the White House who will lead our country back to the day when innocent human life is protected by our laws.” They are headquartered in Washington, D.C., and Carol Tobias is the organization’s president.
The NRL News Today website lacks transparency as they do not provide an about page or disclose that the National Right to Life Committee owns them.
Funded by / Ownership
NRL News Today does not disclose ownership; however, they are owned by the National Right to Life Committee, which is a nonprofit 501(c)(4)organization that is funded through donations. Compared to similar organizations such as PRO-LIFE Across AMERICA (MN), which has a 4-star rating, Charity Navigator rated NRLC 1 out of 4 stars. Please view their Accountability & Transparency Performance Metrics here. The National Right to Life Committee does not disclose board members or names of donors. Revenue for NRL News Today is derived through a donation link that allows you to donate to the NRLC.
Analysis / Bias
In review, NRL News Today publishes news from a conservative perspective that promotes opposition to abortion, euthanasia, and RU486 birth control. Articles and headlines often contain emotionally loaded wording that advances their agenda, such as this Judge opens door for dangerous chemical abortifacient to be mailed or delivered to pregnant women. This story offers minimal hyperlinked sourcing.
Other stories offer strongly loaded negative emotional language towards Planned Parenthood, such as this Another staff meltdown at a Planned Parenthood affiliate. This story provides one link to Fox News. NRL News also republishes news from other anti-abortion websites such as LifeSiteNews and Live Action, which have failed numerous fact checks.
NRL News Today has also published misinformation claiming that “Abortion has been linked to an increased risk for post-abortive women being diagnosed with breast cancer.” According to the American Cancer Society, “After adjusting for known breast cancer risk factors, the researchers found that induced abortion(s) had no overall effect on the risk of breast cancer. The size of this study and how it was done provide good evidence that induced abortion does not affect a woman’s risk of developing breast cancer.”
Editorially, NRL News Today routinely favors a conservative Christian perspective and frequently praises former President Donald Trump, such as this: Pro-abortionists count on pro-life support for President Trump diminishing. They could not be more wrong while aggressively denigrating the left Joe Biden’s unbridled abortion extremism. In general, they publish news that is frequently misleading and/or false with a strong conservative editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks by NRLC and NRL News
- “Under the Baucus bill … federal funds would subsidize coverage of elective abortions.” – False
- The Obama White House recognizes a “baby that has not been born” for security purposes. – Mostly False
- The Obama administration will give Pennsylvania $160 million to pay for health insurance plans that cover “any legal abortion.” – False
- Will all legal abortions be covered by federally subsidized health insurance policies in state “high-risk pools”? – False
Overall, we rate NRL News Today as far-right biased and Questionable based on the promotion of anti-abortion propaganda and pseudoscience, as well as a lack of transparency and several failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 7/14/2020) Updated (06/29/2022)
Last Updated on June 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am