A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate NowThis News Questionable based on far-left bias, promotion of liberal propaganda and five verified failed fact checks.
Questionable Reasoning: Propaganda, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: FAR LEFT BIAS
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
NowThis News was founded in 2012 by Huffington Post co-founder and former chairman Kenneth Lerer and former Huffington Post CEO Eric Hippeau. They use Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, Tumblr, and YouTube as their primary news distribution outlets.
Funded by / Ownership
NowThis News is owned by Group Nine Media and is funded through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, NowThis News reports political news with a strong liberal/progressive leaning bias, heavily relying on meme culture and soundbites, often omitting certain key facts spoken in video clips. There is the use of loaded emotional headlines that favor the left, such as this: Bill Nye the Science Guy on Trump’s Climate Change Denial. NowThis News favors more progressive Democrats with flattering headlines such as this: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Gives Inspiring Speech at Bernie Sanders Town Hall. In general, they support progressive candidates over establishment Democrats and routinely denigrate the right.
Failed Fact Checks
- No, Internet, CNN did not delete its poll showing Bernie Sanders won the Democratic debate – Pants on Fire
- NowThis news site says Donald Trump wrong and Bill Clinton didn’t sign NAFTA – False
- Wood in Cheese? – Mostly False
- DID BUSH’S POPULARITY DOUBLE AFTER TRUMP WAS ELECTED? – False
- Democrats were at a 9/11 memorial service when NC Republicans held a controversial vote – False
Overall, we rate NowThis News Questionable based on far-left bias, promotion of liberal propaganda and five verified failed fact checks. (10/3/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 3/14/2021)