These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate NowThis News far left biased and borderline questionable due to stories that always favor the left and three verified failed fact checks.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
NowThis News was founded in 2012 by Huffington Post co-founder and former chairman Kenneth Lerer and former Huffington Post CEO Eric Hippeau. they use Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, Tumblr, and YouTube as their primary news distribution outlets.
Funded by / Ownership
NowThis News is owned by Group Nine Media and is funded through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, NowThis News reports political news with a strong liberal/progressive leaning bias, heavily relying on meme culture and soundbites, often omitting certain key facts spoken in videos clips. There is use of loaded emotional headlines that favor the left, such as this: Bill Nye the Science Guy on Trump’s Climate Change Denial. NowThis News favors more progressive democrats with flattering headlines such as this: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Gives Inspiring Speech at Bernie Sanders Town Hall. In general, they support progressive candidates over establishment Democrats and routinely denigrate the right.
They have also failed a few fact checks as seen below:
- No, Internet, CNN did not delete its poll showing Bernie Sanders won the Democratic debate – Pants on Fire
- NowThis news site says Donald Trump wrong and Bill Clinton didn’t sign NAFTA – False
- Wood in Cheese? – Mostly False
- DID BUSH’S POPULARITY DOUBLE AFTER TRUMP WAS ELECTED? – False
Overall, we rate NowThis News far left biased and borderline questionable due to stories that always favor the left and four verified failed fact checks. (10/3/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 5/30/2019)