Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
- Overall, we rate NoTricksZone a pseudoscience blog based on the publication of climate change disinformation opposing the consensus of science.
Factual Reporting: LOW
World Press Freedom Rank: Germany 11/180
Founded in 2010 by Pierre Gosselin, NoTricksZone is a blog that is skeptical of human-influenced climate change. The blog features a tagline that reads “Not here to worship what is known but to question it – Jacob Bronowski. Climate and energy news from Germany in English.” According to Pierre Gosselin’s about page “I received an Associate Degree in Civil Engineering at Vermont Technical College and a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Arizona in Tucson.”
Funded by / Ownership
NoTricksZone is owned by Pierre Gosselin. Revenue is derived through the advertising of skeptical climate change books.
Analysis / Bias
In review, NoTricksZone publishes news and studies that attempt to discredit the consensus of climate scientists that global warming is significantly influenced by humans. Mr. Gosselin does not completely disregard human’s impact on climate change but states the influence is minimal.
“I do think man’s activities are having a modest impact on the climate and environment, but more through land use and poor waste management practices. So far, however, the data show that the forces of nature (solar and oceanic cycles) totally overwhelm anything man does. Man probably has contributed a few tenths of a degree C warming over the past century, but that likely is more connected to the urban heat island effect.”
NoTricksZone often publishes stories with emotional wording to influence the reader. For example, they often use the term “alarmist” to describe those who support the consensus of science such as this: Alarmist Scientist “Way Off Target” …Arctic Sea Ice/European Winter Claim Refuted By Newly Published Study. They also attempt to personally discredit people based on character traits such as this: Expert Psychiatrist: Greta Being “Misused For Interests” …Parents’ Promotion Of Troubled Child “Ethically Problematic”.
When it comes to climate science, they often publish alternative theories for global warming such as sunspots. They also offer a blogroll that consists of other climate skeptics such as the Climate Depot, Judith Curry, and Climate Dispatch. In general, NoTricksZone is a human-influenced climate change denial pseudoscience website.
Failed Fact Checks
- Hundreds of papers published in 2017 prove that global warming is a myth. – FALSE
- A total of 58 peer-reviewed papers published in the first half of 2017 conclude that global warming is a myth. – FALSE
- New research shows that scientists are manipulating sea level data to inflate predictions of future sea level rise. – FALSE
- The drop in NO2 content has only been “slight”. So it cannot be the evil diesel engine cars that are “choking” our cities. – Flawed Reasoning
- “there has not been a long-term distinctive change in sea level rise rates in the last 120 years” – Inaccurate
Overall, we rate NoTricksZone a pseudoscience blog based on the publication of climate change disinformation opposing the consensus of science. (D. Van Zandt 11/9/2019) Updated (10/11/2020