These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate New America Left-Center Biased based on policy positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1999, New America is a think tank that focuses on public policy issues, including national security studies, technology, asset building, health, gender, energy, education, and the economy. According to their about page, they state “We are dedicated to renewing America by continuing the quest to realize our nation’s highest ideals, honestly confronting the challenges caused by rapid technological and social change, and seizing the opportunities those changes create.” The current President is Helen D. Gayle.
Funded by / Ownership
New America is a nonprofit that is funded through donations. They are transparent in listing their top donors, who consist of the New York City Economic Development Corporation, Rockefeller Foundation, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the Ford Foundation, to name a few. Further, Charity Navigator has given them 4/4 stars or 94.30/100 for Financial and Transparency.
Analysis / Bias
In review, New America serves as a “civic platform that connects a research institute, technology lab, solutions network, media hub, and public forum.” The website offers reports that present information with minimal bias, such as this Democracy Reform Issues in the 2020 Presidential Election. This report is appropriately sourced to the New York Times and Associated Press. The website also features aggregated news from sources such as the Tucson Sentinel and Education Dive. They also produce a blog that generally publishes low-biased information such as this What does it take for a public interest technology project to succeed?
Editorially, they hold negative views towards former President Donald Trump, such as this: Trump vs. Planet Earth. They also promote left-leaning positions such as concern for climate change, gender equality, income inequality, and pro-choice. In general, New America is factual and holds a left-leaning editorial bias through policy advocacy that favors the left.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate New America Left-Center Biased based on policy positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 7/9/2016) Updated (05/07/2022)
Last Updated on May 7, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am