These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias, but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate Neuroscience News a Pro-Science source that is High for factual reporting.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2001, Neuroscience News is a website that publishes news, research, and information on the field of Neuroscience. According to their about page, “To this day, the site is an independent science news website focusing mainly on neuroscience and other cognitive sciences. We scour news sources from universities, labs, news agencies, scientists, science publishers, and other science departments. We post full articles, releases, abstracts, and sometimes full research journal papers on our site. We also take submissions from nearly anyone.” The founded and current editor-in-chief is Erik Driscoll.
Funded by / Ownership
Neuroscience News does not clearly state ownership, however, it appears to be owned by the founder Erik Driscoll. Revenue is derived through advertising. They disclaim on the about page “No funds have been taken from governments, grants, pharmaceutical companies, big businesses, banks, schools, or others with possibly conflicting interests, to help with this site at any time.”
Analysis / Bias
In review, Neuroscience News generally republishes news and research from other parties such as this How Fear Transforms into Anxiety. This research is derived from the University of New Mexico. Neuroscience News states on their about page that they attempt to republish Open Access articles because they are free such as this COVID-19 Spreads Ten Meters or More by Breathing. It is important to know that not all open access articles are properly peer-reviewed. In general, all information on this website is pro-science by our definition, though we offer caution due to the use of open access journals.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years.
Overall, we rate Neuroscience News a Pro-Science source that is High for factual reporting. (8/16/2016) Update (D. Van Zandt 7/9/2020)
Last Updated on July 9, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am