Founded in 1903, The Miami Herald is a daily broadsheet newspaper headquartered in Doral, Florida, a city in western Miami-Dade County several miles west of Miami. It is the second-largest newspaper in South Florida, serving Miami-Dade, Broward County, and Monroe County. It also circulates throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. The current publisher is Aminda Marqués González.
The newspaper has been awarded 22 Pulitzer Prizes since beginning publication in 1903.
Funded by / Ownership
The Miami Herald is owned by The McClatchy Company, which owns 29 newspapers across 14 states. The newspaper generates revenue through an advertising and subscription model.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Miami Herald covers South Florida news through journalists and with minimal bias in wording such as this: The price of gas in Florida may go down this week. Here’s why. National and international news is derived primarily from the Associated Press and New York Times.
Editorially, the Miami Herald has endorsed Democratic Presidential candidates since 2000. Further, most editorials favor the political left and sometimes utilize loaded emotional language such as these: The Invading Sea: Democrats in debate must focus on solutions to climate change, and Reprehensible immigrant round-ups in Miami postponed — for now, | Editorial. In general, straight news reporting is low biased and factual, while editorially, there is a moderate liberal bias in story selection and policy preferences.
Failed Fact Checks
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis “used [a] fake news site (Babylon Bee) to raise cash.” – Misleading (The Babylon Bee is a clearly labeled satire site.)
Overall, we rate the Miami Herald Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left and High for factual reporting due to a reasonable fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 7/16/2016) Updated (04/06/2022)
Last Updated on April 6, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm