These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Maplight Left-Center Biased based on funding and editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2005, MapLight is a nonpartisan, nonprofit research organization that reveals and tracks the influence of money in politics in the United States. The website also publishes news related to the influence of money in politics.
Funded by / Ownership
Maplight is a nonprofit that is funded through donations. Some notable donors include left-leaning foundations such as the Sunlight Foundation, Open Society Foundations, MacArthur Foundation, Ford Foundation, and the Tides Foundation.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The organization publishes a free public database linking money and political data sources, including campaign contributions to politicians, how politicians vote on bills, and support and opposition to legislation. MapLight provides data on both campaign finance and voting behavior in one database. MapLight uses an in-house research team in addition to data sources that include the National Institute on Money in State Politics, the Center for Responsive Politics, and Govtrack.
The website also publishes news with a left-leaning editorial bias such as this: Manufacturers of Forever Chemicals Give Generously to House Members and this We Must Address Online Voter Suppression to Protect Our Democracy. They also frequently report negatively on the Trump administration and conservatives.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Maplight Left-Center Biased based on funding and editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (7/16/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 2/07/2020)
Last Updated on January 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds