Lifehacker is a weblog about life hacks and software which launched on January 31, 2005. Gawker Media initially launched the site.
Funded by / Ownership
Lifehacker is owned by G/O Media Inc., a media company that runs Gizmodo, Deadspin, Jezebel, The Onion, The Root, and other sister websites. G/O was formed in early 2019 when Great Hill Partners, a private equity firm, purchased the websites from Univision. Advertising generates revenue for Lifehacker.
Analysis / Bias
Lifehacker primarily covers life hacks on topics such as finance, technology, and health. The website features the tagline “Do Everything Better.” Stories and headlines reflect the article’s content with minimal bias, such as this Our Best Glass Cleaning Hacks for a Streak-Free Shine. Videos accompany many pieces. and stories are properly sourced from credible media outlets.
While Lifehacker does not produce political editorials, they report on politics related to their genre. For example, in this story, How an Anti-Mask Screed Got Spun as a ‘Study,” there is a left-leaning political perspective regarding the Covid-19. In another story, they report negatively on former president Trump How Are Your Trump-loving Relatives Dealing With Recent Events? In general, Lifehacker presents news with a left-leaning bias that is well-sourced and factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- Placing a coin on top of a frozen glass of water in your freezer can help you tell if your freezer experienced a significant loss of power in your absence. – Mostly False
Overall, we rate Lifehacker Left-Center biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left and Mostly Factual for factual reporting due to one failed fact check. (D. Van Zandt 10/8/2017) Updated (10/17/2021)
Last Updated on October 17, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds