These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Las Vegas Review-Journal Right-Center biased based on editorial positions and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1909, The Las Vegas Review-Journal is a major daily newspaper published in Las Vegas, Nevada. It is Nevada’s largest circulating daily newspaper and one of two daily newspapers in the Las Vegas area. In 2015, the newspaper was secretly bought by Sheldon Adelson through News + Media Capital Group LLC. Sheldon Adelson is a billionaire known for donating large sums of money to Republicans, including Donald Trump. After Adelson purchased the paper, editorial changes led to many reporters and editors leaving the newspaper, citing “curtailed editorial freedom, murky business dealings, and unethical managers.” Longtime columnist John L. Smith resigned after being told he could no longer write anything about Adelson, a frequent focus of his reporting. Within six months, all three reporters who broke the story of Adelson’s ownership had left the paper.
Sheldon Adelson passed away on January 11, 2021, after a long illness.
Funded by / Ownership
News + Media Capital Group LLC owns the Las Vegas Review-Journal. The newspaper is funded through subscriptions and advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports local news through journalists and uses minimally loaded words in headlines and articles. National/International news is delivered via the Associated Press. All news stories are properly sourced and credited to credible information. Editorially, there is a right-leaning bias that reflects the conservative positions of ownership. For example, the Las Vegas Review-Journal was one of the first newspapers to endorse Donald Trump for President in 2016 and have endorsed him again in 2020. A review of their opinion page shows more articles favoring the right. There is right-leaning bias when it comes to story selection, and as mentioned above, the paper censored negative news stories regarding Sheldon Adelson.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Las Vegas Review-Journal Right-Center biased based on editorial positions and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information. (7/14/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 08/22/2021)
Last Updated on August 22, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Buffalo supermarket shooting suspect posted an apparent manifesto repeatedly citing ‘Great Replacement’ theoryby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 9:43 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Rodong Sinmunby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 7:26 am