Italy Government Bias
World Press Freedom Rank: Italy 58/180
According to Reporters without Borders, Italy is “Under police protection” The report states, “The level of violence against reporters is alarming and keeps on growing,” with some journalists choosing to self censor rather than being harassed.
Media Ownership and Government Analysis
Government Influence on Media: The Italian Government influences the media in which direct aid is limited to a special category of newspapers. However, public assistance to media outlets has changed as per a new budget law in 2019 (Law 145/2018). Please see here for detailed information in English and Italian language. News organizations and media are typically owned by strong families, which are linked to political parties. For example, Silvio Berlusconi, the former Prime Minister of Italy, is the major shareholder of the private free TV company Mediaset. Agnelli family owns la Repubblica and La Stampa (through Exor N.V.). Simultaneously, Corriere della Sera is a Milan-based major newspaper owned by Urbano Cairo through Cairo Communication S.p.A.
Last Updated on May 8, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm