These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate In Defence of Marxism Far-Left Biased based on socialist economic and political theory advocacy. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to poor sourcing techniques.
Bias Rating: FAR-LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Country: United Kingdom (33/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Launched in 1998, In Defence of Marxism is operated by The International Marxist Tendency (IMT). In Defence of Marxism is headquartered in East Sussex, UK. According to their about page, they describe themselves as “In Defence of Marxism is not just a website. It is the organ of the International Marxist Tendency, now organized in more than 30 countries.” British Trotskyist political theorist Alan Woods is the Editor of In Defence of Marxism.
Funded by / Ownership
The International Marxist Tendency (IMT) owns and publishes In Defence of Marxism. Book sales generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In Defence of Marxism publishes articles on Marxist theory, history, and analysis of current events. They publish well-sourced analyses such as “LGBT: Liberation and Revolution” and “Bernie’s Betrayal: The Fight for Socialism Continues!” They utilize credible sources such as ILGA, Financial Times, BBC, and republish stories from socialist.net; however, they poorly source their opinion pieces and rarely link to the sources. In Defence of Marxism also uses emotionally loaded language in their headlines and the body of the article, such as “The stinking hypocrisy of Trump’s attack on Syria.”
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate In Defence of Marxism Far-Left Biased based on socialist economic and political theory advocacy. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to poor sourcing techniques. (M. Huitsing 2/18/2018) Updated (01/02/2022)
Last Updated on January 2, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm