These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate High Country News Left-Center biased due to story selection that favors left-leaning causes and is highly factual based on proper sourcing.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in August 1969, High Country News is a non-profit bi-weekly environmental advocacy magazine focusing on major regulations legislation pertaining to environmental issues of the American West. The founder of High Country News was Tom Bell. High Country News is located in Paonia, Colorado. Paul Larmer is the Executive Director and publisher of High Country News.
Funded by / Ownership
High Country News is a nonprofit. In 2017, it received approximately 43% of its income from donations, 29% from subscriptions, 5% from advertising, and the balance from syndication and other sources.
Analysis / Bias
High Country News describes its mission as “to inform and inspire people to act on behalf of the West’s land, air, water, and inhabitants, and to create what Wallace Stegner called “a society to match the scenery.”
In review, High Country News is subscription-based, so we could only review a limited number of articles. High Country News generally utilizes minimally loaded emotional language in their headlines, such as “Arizona agency angers Colorado River users upstream.” They also use credible sources such as grist.org, usbr.gov, cpr.org (Colorado public radio), usbr.gov, and helenair.com. High Country News also republishes stories from Grist and The Conversation. Story selection leans left as most articles are related to the environment and conservation.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years.
Overall, we rate High Country News Left-Center biased due to story selection that favors left-leaning causes and is highly factual based on proper sourcing. (M. Huitsing 5/7/2018) Updated (02/01/2022)
Last Updated on February 1, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm