These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Gravel Institute Far-Left Biased based on editorial views aligned with the progressive left and Democratic Socialism. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a failed fact check and one-sided reporting.
Bias Rating: FAR LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2019 by former Alaska Democratic Senator Mike Gravel, the Gravel Institute is a non-profit think tank that promotes progressive views to counteract conservative think tanks and viewpoints. Mike Gravel passed away on June 26, 2021, at the age of 91.
According to their about page, “We advocate for direct democracy in order to achieve a just and equal society. Our mission is to build the institutions the left needs to win.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Gravel Institute is a 501(c)4 Nonprofit funded through direct donations and the sale of merchandise.
Analysis / Bias
The Gravel Institute was created specifically to counter the conservative and questionable PragerU. For example, the Gravel Institute produces videos similar to PragerU, such as this How to Defeat PragerU: The Gravel Institute and How Socialists Can Win Elections. They also publish mini-documentaries promoting views such as this COVID-19 and Capitalism (with Richard Wolff).
Editorially, they clearly state their progressive agenda on the about page, which consists of ending imperial wars, a direct democracy, redistribution of wealth, and anti-capitalism messages. They state, “We live under capitalism, an economic system which engages in the exploitation of billions of people around the world. The Institute advocates creating a more equal and just economy by democratizing ownership and redistributing wealth in America and around the world.”
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate The Gravel Institute Far-Left Biased based on editorial views aligned with the progressive left and Democratic Socialism. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a failed fact check and one-sided reporting. (7/17/2021)
Last Updated on January 25, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am