These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Free Press Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2003, Free Press is a United States advocacy group. It gives the following mission statement: “We fight to save the free and open Internet, curb runaway media consolidation, protect press freedom, and ensure diverse voices are represented in our media.” The group is a major supporter of net neutrality and affordable internet access. According to their about page, they “believe that positive social change, racial justice and meaningful engagement in public life require equitable access to technology, diverse and independent ownership of media platforms, and journalism that holds leaders accountable and tells people what’s actually happening; in their communities.”
Funded by / Ownership
Free Press is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization primarily funded through donations. They publish their financial disclosures yearly, as seen here.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Free Press advocates for a more accessible internet that can disseminate information to promote social and racial justice. The website does not publish news unless related to the Free Press, such as this Change the Terms Calls on Social-Media Platforms to Ban Trump Following U.S. Capitol Violence.
Editorially, they offer press releases that are sometimes negative toward the right such as this Republican Senate Approves Unqualified Trump Loyalist in 11th-Hour Bid to Deadlock the Biden FCC. In general, the news and information are factual and lean left editorially.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Free Press Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 1/8/2017) Updated (10/21/2021)
Last Updated on October 21, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am