These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) Right-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1949, The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung or FAZ is a German daily newspaper based in Frankfurt, Germany. The FAZ has a literary supplement, called Feuilleton. FAZ provides a Sunday edition Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung FAS, the weekly edition Frankfurter Allgemeine Woche, and Frankfurter Allgemeine Quarterly. The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung covers topics such as finance, business, news, politics, sports, technology, and publishes interviews with politicians, as well as articles on investigative reporting. FAZ has five editors: Gerald Braunberger, Jürgen Kaube, Carsten Knop, Berthold Kohler and Kai N. Pritzsche.
Funded by / Ownership
The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) is owned by the FAZIT-Stiftung Gemeinnützige Verlagsgesellschaft GmbH, a non-profit foundation. Subscriptions and advertisements derive revenue for FAZ.
Analysis / Bias
According to their about page, The FAZ describes itself as “a liberal-conservative voice in business, politics, and culture.” The paper leans center-right and traditionally supports Christian Democrats.
In review, The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) publishes articles with minimally emotionally loaded language such as “SPD boss insists on taking over old debts of the municipalities.” Editorially, they tend to be critical of SPD (social democrats) while favoring the CDU, “Why even politicians in the same party do not always agree.” They also report favorably on the far-right AfD “Weidel wants to form a top AfD team with Chrupalla.” On the issues, they are slightly critical of migrants, as seen in this story: “Solidarity! Why?”
The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) has its own correspondent network; therefore, the paper often hyperlinks to itself and quoting credible sources such as the New York Times. When covering world news about the USA, they source through attribution to the American Media. For example, in this article titled ”Investigators search Rudy Giuliani’s residence,” they source by stating, “According to the American media, had repeatedly been blocked by the Trump administration,” instead of providing hyperlinks to the media source. In general, they report fact-based news that holds a right-center editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) Right-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 5/5/2021)
Last Updated on February 16, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am