Reasoning: Government Propaganda, Conspiracy, Fake News
World Press Freedom Rank: Iran 170/180
Launched in February 2002, Fars News is an English language news website from Iran. The Editor in chief is Morteza Ghamari Vafa and Seyyed Nizamdin Mousavi is the managing director.
In addition to Persian reporting, Fars News Agency also provides news in Turkish, and Arabic, which features World and National Politics, Opinions, Society and Culture, Sci-Tech and more. Fars News Agency is described as a pro-government news agency.
Funded by / Ownership
Fars News is funded and supported by the Government of Iran.
Analysis / Bias
Reporters without Borders has reported Iran as “One of the most oppressive countries” According to a reporters without borders 2019 report, Iran ranks 170 out of 180 countries on the World Press Freedom Index.
In review, the content of headlines and articles use minimal loaded words pertaining to national news such as “Energy Ministry Caretaker: Iran to Reconstruct Syria’s Power lines, Power Plants.” However, they poorly source their articles, heavily quoting without providing links to sources such as this article.
According to The Guardian, In September 2012, the Fars News Agency sourced The Onion website’s news on Ahmadinejad as actual news, without crediting the Onion. In April 2013, Fars News Agency ran a story about Iranian Scientist who claimed to build a “Time Machine.” Further, according to the Huffington Post, in January 2014, Fars News reported the US has been run by Nazi space aliens. In general, this is a government propaganda source that is not credible for reliable news.
Overall, we rate Far News Questionable based on poor sourcing, reporting of unproven or debunked conspiracy theories, promotion of pro-Government propaganda and the publishing of fake news stories. (M. Huitsing 9/12/2017) Updated (01/08/2020)
Last Updated on December 18, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black Main Streetby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WCAXby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/23/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 10:30 am