These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate EURACTIV Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Belgium 12/180
Launched in 1999, EURACTIV is an EU-focused media outlet covering EU Affairs and has a presence in 12 EU capitals and available in 12 European languages. EURACTIV’s main focus is European Union institutions, EU policy, and politics. Their headquarters is in Brussels, Belgium.
Funded by / Ownership
According to PressGazette, EURACTIV is “part-funded (less than 10 percent, according to the founder) by the European Commission – the EU’s executive body – and allows companies to sponsor different policy sections of its website.” Christophe Leclercq is the founder and Chairman. Here is the list of Board Members as of 2020. Further, EURACTIV revenue is derived from corporate sponsoring, Euractor membership, advertising, EU projects, and content syndication. They list funding from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie (OIF), and the Robert Bosch Foundation. In addition, They say they have received public grants from EU institutions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, EURACTIV publishes articles in collaboration with credible newsagents such as AFP with minimal emotionally loaded language such as “Virus puts brakes on Salvini’s far-right message in Italy”. They also cover national politics, for example here is an interview with German Politician “Linn Selle: Coronavirus may have a long impact on German presidency.”
When it comes to sourcing, international coverage utilizes both news agency material as well as foreign correspondents. EurActiv has partnerships with media outlets such as “Poland’s Gazeta Wyborcza (Conservative-leaning), Italy’s Class Editori (Italia Oggi, Milano Finanza), Germany’s Der Tagesspiegel and Wirtschaftswoche, France’s La Tribune and Ouest-France (Center-Right) and The Guardian (Center-Left) in the UK.”
In covering the USA, they typically collaborate with AFP and Reuters. In general, EURACTIV reports news factually and with a slight left-leaning editorial bias as they report from multiple angles and use a wide variety of left-leaning and right-leaning sources.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years.
Overall, we rate EURACTIV Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (8/18/2016) (M. Huitsing 12/01/2020)
Last Updated on December 1, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm