These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate elDiario.es Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Online Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2012 by Ignacio Escolar, the former editor-in-chief of the daily Público, elDiario.es is an online Spanish daily online newspaper based in Madrid, Spain. elDiario.es covers a wide variety of topics, from news and politics to human rights and the environment. According to their about page, investigative journalism is the primary focus, and they state their goal as to “defend human rights, equality, and a better democracy.” Ignacio Escolar serves as the current director and the President is José Sanclemente.
Funded by / Ownership
eldiario.es is owned by journalists and run by Ignacio Escolar, who owns the majority of shares. Further, most of the employees are co-owners. Diario de Prensa Digital S.L publishes them, and Jose Sanclemente is the president of the company. Subscriptions and advertisements derive revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, elDiario.es publishes articles from a progressive perspective. The headlines often use emotionally loaded language such as “We want to be, be and exist without fear.” The article is about Pride walk and LGBT rights. They typically cover opposition parties’ perspectives with a negative tone, such as in this article where they are critical of conservative People’s Party (PP) leader Pablo Casado “The two faces of Casado.” Further, in this article, the author compares Casado (center-right People’s Party (PP) to far-right Santiago Abascal – ultra-right Vox party). A quote from the article reads, “The PP and Vox are two sides of the same coin, be it that of false patriotism or that of explicit homophobia. It is the same family.”
When it comes to coverage of center-left PM Pedro Sánchez, elDiario.es uses a softer tone such as “Sánchez rejects that Junqueras is at the dialogue table: “It is between governments, and he has years of disqualification left.” They also strike a critical tone of the left-populist party Podemos leader Pablo Iglesias Turrión. For example, a quote from the article reads, “I am concerned that Pablo Iglesias insists on putting sticks in the wheel of Pedro Sánchez’s PSOE, creating all kinds of doubts and feeding uncertainties.”
El Diario.es typically sources to itself; however, they also utilize both news agency material, particularly Agencia EFE, S.A. (Spanish international news agency), and they collaborate with The Guardian and credible sources such as Whitehouse.gov and the Washington Post. Most articles are neutral when covering the USA, such as this “Biden’s Advice for Employers Who Can’t Find Workers: “Pay Them More.” In general, elDiario.es reports news factually and with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years.
Overall, we rate elDiario.es Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 6/29/2021)
Last Updated on February 10, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am