These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate El Diario NY Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
El Diario Nueva York or El Diario NY is a Spanish-language daily in the United States that has been published since 1913. The paper was originally founded as La Prensa in 1913 and after the merger of El Diario de Nueva York in 1963 it became El Diario La Prensa. Currently, it is called El Diario NY. Headquartered in New York City, the main audience of the paper is New York’s Latino population with a focus on local, national, and international news for Spanish-speaking readers in the New York City area. El Diario NY is currently owned by ImpreMedia LLC. The sister publications include La Opinión, La Raza, Solo Dinero and Para Ti Mujer, The editor of the paper is Carmen Villavicencio.
Funded by / Ownership
El Diario NY is owned by ImpreMedia LLC whose parent company is Argentina-based LA NACION which is owned by the Saguier Family, with Julio and Alejandro Saguier serving as President and Vice President of SA La Nacion’s board of directors. El Diario NY’s revenue is derived through advertising and subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
El Diario NY endorses Democrats such as Melissa Mark-Viverito in NY and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
In review, El Diario NY publishes news with story selection that moderately favors the left. There is the moderate use of loaded language such as this “A matter of perspective”. A quote from the article reads “Let’s not let a passion rob us of another four years of our lives. Let’s vote for whoever wins the Democratic primary. We have to get out of this as soon as possible. There will be time to start the Revolution.” They also report critically on the immigration policy of President Trump such as “3 keys about Trump’s immigration plans that generate uncertainty”. When it comes to sourcing information, they typically source to themselves, however, they also utilize credible news sources such as The New York Times and they republish articles from BBCMundo BBC’s online service for the Spanish-speaking world.
In general, El Diario NY reports news factually and with a moderate progressive left bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate El Diario NY Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 9/27/2020)
Last Updated on September 27, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. Covid-19 Cases Top 7-Day Average Of 100,000 For First Time Since Februaryby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 8:44 am