These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the DCist Left-Center Biased based on story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2004, the DCist is a news and opinion website covering news, lifestyle, and entertainment for the Washington, DC area. According to their about page “DCist is the unofficial homepage of the District. We cover what matters to Washingtonians, whether that’s the latest piece of legislation before the D.C. Council or the best thing to order at the new restaurant around the corner.” The current editor-in-chief is Rachel Sadon.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In review, the DCist covers local news on crime, culture, and entertainment for the DC area. Articles and headlines offer minimally loaded emotional language such as this Fairfax County Removes Confederate Monuments From Courthouse Property and this Nadeau Announces Police Accountability Bill After Bowser Moves $43 Million To Cover MPD Overtime Costs. When it comes to sourcing they utilize credible sources such as police reports and .gov’s. The website also republishes stories from WAMU as well as the Washington Post.
Editorially, the DCist does not really publish op-eds, however, they do have a section called “editor’s picks” that publishes stories with a slight left-leaning bias such as this The New White House Fence Is Getting Covered In Protest Art. In general, the news is reported factually and with a slight left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the DCist Left-Center Biased based on story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 11/7/2020)
Last Updated on November 7, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am