These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Daily Mining Gazette slightly Right-Center biased based on ownership affiliation and editorial positions that slightly lean conservative. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1858, the Daily Mining Gazette is a newspaper published in Houghton, Michigan that is distributed over most of the Upper Peninsula and some northern parts of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. The current editor is Mark Wilcox.
Funded by / Ownership
The Daily Mining Gazette is owned by Ogden Newspapers Inc., which publishes numerous small-market newspapers around the eastern half of the USA. Ogden has historically donated to Republican candidates. According to Open Secrets, since 1992 they have donated 93% to Republicans. Robert Nutting is the current CEO. The paper is funded through both advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Daily Mining Gazette produces original news covering Northern Michigan. Headlines and articles contain minimal emotional language such as this: Three candidates vie for Hancock’s third-ward votes. National and international news is republished from the Associated Press.
Editorially, the paper does not endorse Presidential candidates. A review of editorial commentary shows a reasonable balance between right and left without delving into extremes, however slightly more op-ed’s favor the right such as this: C’mon ride the train: Trump parade draws more than 600 cars. In general, the news is reported factually with a slight conservative bias editorially.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Daily Mining Gazette slightly Right-Center biased based on ownership affiliation and editorial positions that slightly lean conservative. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 10/9/2020)
Last Updated on October 9, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: il Giornaleby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:15 am
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm