Cornel West is currently a professor at Union Theological Seminary and is running for President of the United States in 2024. He is a member of the progressive left wing of the Green Party. We assign Cornel West a Left Biased and Mostly factual rating due to one unproven claim.
You are viewing this page with fewer Ads
See all MBFC content Completely Ad-Free
Title: Professor Emeritus – Presidential Candidate
Political Party: Green Party
Political Alignment: Progressive Left
Factual Rating: Mostly Factual
- Professor at Harvard University
- Professor at Princeton University
- Professor at Union Theological Seminary
- Public intellectual and activist
Stance on Key Policies:
- Abortion Rights: Favorable – Cornel West is a pro-choice advocate. He believes in a woman’s right to make decisions about her own body, including the decision to have an abortion.
- Economy: Democratic Socialism – West criticizes capitalism and has advocated for a more equitable economic system. He has spoken out against economic inequality and advocated for economic justice policies.
- Climate Change: Supports Government Action – West has included combatting climate change as part of his platform.
- Education: Public Schools – West strongly advocates for education and believes in providing quality education for all. He has spoken out against the privatization of education and advocated for more public education investment.
- Foreign Policy: Non-Interventionist – West has criticized both Republicans and Democrats for not telling what he called the “truth” about the Ukraine war and the Pentagon, as well as Wall Street and Big Tech.
- LGBTQ Rights: Supports – West is a strong advocate for LGBTQ rights. He believes in love and acceptance for all, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Gun Ownership: Gun Control – West’s views on gun control are not explicitly stated in the sources I found. However, given his advocacy for non-violence and social justice, it can be inferred that he would likely support measures to control gun violence.
- Immigration: Supports Immigration – He has not stated a clear policy on immigration, but based on this quote from a Fox News interview, he appears to favor immigration “I want the immigrants and the workers of all colors to come together against the bosses.”
- Health Care: Universal Health Care – West supports universal healthcare. He believes healthcare is a human right and should be accessible to all, regardless of income.
- Overall: Democratic Socialist – West has described himself as a non-Marxist socialist and aims to marry Christianity with socialism in his work.
Recent Failed Fact Checks
- Cornel West has not been directly fact-checked; however, he has made unproven claims regarding the Ukraine-Russia war.
(M. Huitsing 07/24/2023)
Last Updated on July 26, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check