These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate CityNews Montreal Least Biased based on mostly neutral wording and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Radio Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
CityNews Montreal is a Canadian radio station serving the Greater Montreal area. Its radio station and website are in all-news format covering local, national, world, business, and entertainment news.
Read our profile on the Canadian government’s influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
Rogers Media owns CityNews Montreal. According to The Canada Guide, more than 80 percent of Canadian media is owned by a cartel of just five corporations: Bell Media, Rogers Media, Postmedia, Corus, and Torstar, each of which owns dozens of different print publications and television networks under various subsidiaries and affiliates. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, CityNews Montreal provides national coverage, feature stories, and analysis of issues in Canada and abroad. They utilize minimal loaded words in their articles, such as this Montreal hospitals urge people with non-urgent issues to stay away from ERs. They also present low biased coverage of USA news and utilize credible sources such as the Associated Press and the Canadian Press.
Editorially, they do not publish opinion pieces, while political news is delivered with low bias. Finally, a Reuters institute survey found that 66% of respondents trust CityNews coverage and 12% do not, ranking them #5 in trust among the major English language Canadian news providers.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate CityNews Montreal Least Biased based on mostly neutral wording and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 04/18/2022)
Last Updated on April 18, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am