These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
Update: Cambridge Analytical shut down in 2018.
- Overall, we rate Cambridge Analytica Right biased based on political affiliation with right leaning candidates and policy positions. We rate them Mixed for factual reporting based on the alleged spread of false information. This is a low confidence review based on lack of evidence to support the spread of false news and hence we go with Mixed rather than Low or Questionable at this time.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: United Kingdom
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 33/180
Cambridge Analytica, based in the UK, is a privately held company that combines data mining and data analysis with strategic communication for the electoral process. It was created in 2013 as an offshoot of its British parent company SCL Group to participate in American politics. In 2014, Cambridge Analytica was involved in 44 US political races. The company is partly owned by the family of Robert Mercer, an American hedge-fund manager who supports many politically conservative causes.
Funded by / Ownership
Cambridge Analytica is owned by SCL Group and is heavily funded through right wing Trump supporter Robert Mercer.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Cambridge Analytica mission statement reads: “To deliver Data-Driven Behavioral Change by understanding what motivates the individual and engaging with target audiences in ways that move them to action.” According to their website they have provided this service to mostly right leaning politicians such as Donald Trump, Ted Cruz and Ben Carson. They were also involved in the right wing Pro-Brexit movement.
The Cambridge Analytica website has a blog that publishes news related to their business interests that is usually properly sourced to credible media. On March 17, 2018 Cambridge Analytica was accused of Data Mining Facebook user data for the benefit of the Trump Campaign. On the same day Cambridge Analytica released a press statement saying they complied with Facebook’s terms of service. According to Time Magazine, Cambridge Analytica is under investigation for spreading false information as well as ties to Robert Mercer, Breitbart and Steve Bannon.
Overall, we rate Cambridge Analytica Right biased based on political affiliation with right leaning candidates and policy positions. We rate them Mixed for factual reporting based on the alleged spread of false information. This is a low confidence review based on lack of evidence to support the spread of false news and hence we go with Mixed rather than Low or Questionable at this time. (D. Van Zandt 3/17/2018) Updated (10/16/2018)
Last Updated on May 13, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am