A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Al Manar Questionable based on excessive political party control that results in the publication of pro-Hezbollah propaganda, poor sourcing, and designation as a terrorist and hate group. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the omission of key facts in stories and a failed fact check.
Reasoning: Poor Sourcing, Propaganda, Lack of Transparency, Hate Group
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2000, Al Manar is the official website for the TV station Al Manar. Al Manar features Lebanese, world, and business news, with a section called “Focus on Zionists” and a section for Hezbollah Statements. In 2006 the U.S. Government “Designates Al-Manar as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist Entity Television Station and an Arm of Hezbollah Terrorist Network.”
Read our profile on Lebanon’s media and government.
Funded by / Ownership
Al Manar is fully affiliated with Hezbollah and calls itself “the main tool in keeping up with the victories of the Lebanese Resistance of Hezbollah and the Zionist entity’s crimes.” The US state department designates Al Manar as a media arm of Hezbollah. The Lebanese Communication Group operates Al Manar TV and is owned by Hezbollah. Funding and revenue are not transparent.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Al Manar publishes articles with strong emotionally loaded language such as “Lebanon Shows Entire World Pride in Face of US Tyrant.” The article reads, “Pompeo and his entourage started touring the various decision-making centers in Beirut to provoke the Lebanese against Hezbollah resistance which has protected the country from the Zionist and the takfiri enemies.” Al Manar reports selectively when the issue doesn’t resonate with Hezbollah. When it comes to sourcing, Al Manar often hyperlinks to itself, and typically when covering world news, they republish news from AFP such as “China to Impose Sanctions on US Firms in Taiwan Arms Sale.”
Editorially, Al Manar is classified as a hate group by the ADL where they state “Al-Manar broadcasts the terrorist group’s messages of hate and violence, disseminates anti-Semitic and anti-American propaganda and glorifies suicide bombings to millions of viewers 24 hours a day, seven days a week.”
Failed Fact Checks
- Four thousand Israelis employed by companies housed in the World Trade Center stayed home from work on 9/11, warned in advance of the impending attack on the WTC. – False
Overall, we rate Al Manar Questionable based on excessive political party control that results in the publication of pro-Hezbollah propaganda, poor sourcing, and designation as a terrorist and hate group. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the omission of key facts in stories and a failed fact check. (M. Huitsing 12/6/2020) Updated (01/09/2022)
Last Updated on January 9, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am