These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using an appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased sources.
- Overall, we rate C-Span Least Biased and Very-High for factual reporting based on unfiltered coverage of congress.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 1979, C-SPAN offers live, unfiltered access to the congress and straightforward government news. C-Span also provides a morning call-in talk show called Washington Journal that discusses government and political issues. The C-SPAN network includes three television channels (C-SPAN, C-SPAN2, and C-SPAN3), one radio station (WCSP-FM), and a group of websites that provide streaming media and archives of C-SPAN programs.
According to the website, the mission is to “provide C-SPAN’s audience access to the live gavel-to-gavel proceedings of the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate, and to other forums where public policy is discussed, debated and decided––all without editing, commentary or analysis and with a balanced presentation of points of view.”
Funded by / Ownership
C-SPAN is a private, nonprofit organization owned by the National Cable Satellite Corporation, “funded by a 6¢ per subscriber affiliate fee paid by its cable and satellite affiliates, and does not have advertisements on any of its networks, radio stations, or websites, nor does it ever solicit donations or pledges. The network operates independently, and neither the cable industry nor Congress has control of its programming content.”
Analysis / Bias
In review, C-SPAN programming is quite literally a camera pointed at congressional events. Headlines on the website use straightforward, non-biased language: Treasury Secretary Mnuchin Testifies on President’s 2020 Budget Request. The website also provides video clips and transcripts from the morning call-in show, Washington Journal, which we have rated as Least Biased.
In general, C-SPAN is unfiltered and minimally biased. It should be noted that politicians frequently lie and mislead on C-SPAN, but that is not their fault. They point the camera and record whatever claims they are making.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate C-SPAN Least Biased and Very-High for factual reporting based on unfiltered coverage of congress. (6/6/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 05/06/2022)
Last Updated on May 6, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- U.S. Senate Gives Final Congressional Approval To $40 Billion Aid Package For Ukraineby Media Bias Fact Check on May 19, 2022 at 10:17 pm
- Finland and Sweden Apply for NATO Membershipby Media Bias Fact Check on May 19, 2022 at 5:59 pm
- New Twitter policy aims to pierce fog of war misinformationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 19, 2022 at 5:43 pm
- Biden To Meet Swedish, Finnish Leaders On NATO Membershipby newsfactsnetwork on May 19, 2022 at 2:24 pm
- Texas asks Supreme Court to keep state social media censorship law in effectby newsfactsnetwork on May 19, 2022 at 12:17 pm