These media sources are slight to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate BusinessLIVE Right-Center Biased based on sources that lean right and support free-market economics. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a history of publishing fake news and a false claim by an IFCN fact-checker.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: South Africa
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2016 by the Tiso Blackstar Group, BusinessLIVE is a national news portal in South Africa. Their coverage includes business, economy, analysis, politics, finance, etc. BusinessLIVE is headquartered in Parktown, Johannesburg, South Africa.
BusinessLIVE also features the complete websites of other newspapers owned by the Tiso Blackstar Group, including “Business Day, Financial Mail, and Rand Daily Mail.” Further, they source news content from Business Times, Investors Monthly, BDTV, and Wanted Online. “BusinessLIVE also delivers exclusive syndicated content from the Financial Times and full access to The Wall Street Journal website WSJ.com, via the paid-content section of the site, BL Premium.”
Funded by / Ownership
Tiso Blackstar Group (formerly Times Media) is the owner of BusinessLIVE. Andrew David Bonamour is the founder and CEO of Tiso Blackstar Group, with the corporate headquarters in the United Kingdom. A complete list of the Board of Directors can be seen here. Revenue is derived from advertising and subscriptions.
For details on the influence of the South African Government and Media influence, click here: South Africa Government and Media.
Analysis / Bias
BusinessLIVE newspapers, namely the Sunday Times, have been criticized for publishing fake stories. The current editor BL and former editor of the Sunday Times, Ray Hartley, responded to the claims that can be read Here. Further, the Independent Online newspaper criticized the newspaper Business Day for reporting more negatively on black business owners vs. white. According to the article, “Reporting on white companies is always qualified with an excuse, while black companies are treated with contempt, disdain, and suspicion.”
In review, BusinessLIVE uses strong, emotionally loaded headlines such as this ”Cyril Ramaphosa to tackle ‘divisive’ Jacob Zuma” and “Trump tweets about land expropriation and ‘farm killings’ in SA” In general, BusinessLIVE sources their information through quotes rather than hyperlinked sourcing, however, BusinessLIVE also republishes articles from Bloomberg and Reuters. Editorially, a review of opinion pieces reflects a right-leaning economic perspective favoring free markets.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate BusinessLIVE Right-Center Biased based on sources that lean right and support free-market economics. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a history of publishing fake news and a false claim by an IFCN fact-checker. (M. Huitsing 1/7/2019) updated (05/06/2022)
Last Updated on May 6, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am