Reasoning: Propaganda, Anti-Islam, Hate Group, Poor Sourcing, Conspiracy, False Claims
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Country: United Kingdom
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2011, Britain First is a far-right and British ultranationalist political party and movement formed by former members of the British National Party (BNP). The party was founded by Jim Dowson, an anti-abortion campaigner linked to Ulster loyalist groups in Northern Ireland. Britain First campaigns primarily against multiculturalism and what it sees as the Islamisation of the United Kingdom and advocates the preservation of traditional British culture.
In 2018, they were banned by Facebook for inciting hatred against minorities.
Funded by / Ownership
Britain First lacks transparency as the website does not list ownership. Donations generate revenue, but there may be other streams that are not disclosed.
Analysis / Bias
In reviewing their news content, it is clear that this source has an extreme anti-Islamic bias. Britain First has a poor track record with fact-checkers due to their promotion of propaganda and has also failed several fact checks from UK-based checkers such as this one. See examples below. The Britain First leader has also been found guilty of committing a hate crime.
In 2019, Britain First supported conservative Boris Johnson Britain First urges supporters to join Conservative Party ‘to make Boris Johnson’s leadership more secure.’ However, they have also been criticized for setting up Christian Patrols to both bait and intimidate Muslims. Other sources and organizations have labeled Britain First as Fascist, Xenophobic, Racist, and Islamophobic.
Further, the Anti-Defamation League states they have ties Neo-Nazis and are “a virulently anti-Muslim group.” In short, they indicate they are a propaganda-driven hate group. In general, Britain First is not credible, Right Biased, and low factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- “a crowd of ‘moderate’ Muslims celebrating the Paris terror attack in London”. – False
- “Muslim migrant” beating up “a Dutch boy on crutches.” – False
In summary, Britain First is a far-right nationalist group with an extreme anti-immigrant bias that some classify as a hate group. We also rate them Questionable based on the promotion of conspiracy theories, right-wing propaganda, a lack of transparency, poor sourcing, and failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 7/14/2017) Updated (04/29/2022)
Last Updated on April 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am