A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Alpha News Questionable based on extreme right bias, poor sourcing of information, promotion of conspiracy theories, and anti-Islamic propaganda, as well as a lack of transparency regarding ownership.
Reasoning: Poor Sourcing, Conspiracy Theories, Anti-Islam, Lack of Transparency
Bias Rating: FAR RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2015, Alpha News is a Minnesota online news network. They report the latest political news from the Capitol and local stories about government spending. According to a Star Tribune article dated March 11, 2015 — Alpha News Chief Capitol reporter Julia Erynn describes them as a “news organization” that generates revenue from advertising and private donors providing financial support. According to Star Tribune, “The launch of Alpha News was first promoted today by the Minnesota Tea Party Alliance on Facebook. Many of the initial news stories cover issues that the Minnesota Tea Party Alliance has advocated.”
Funded by / Ownership
Alpha News does not disclose ownership or funding on the website; however, there is a donation link, and there does not appear to be advertising. Alpha News also does not list an address on the website; however, according to the Star Tribune article referenced above, the address is linked to a UPS Store address. They list a phone number on the website that leads to Julia Erynn. According to ProPublica, they are a nonprofit.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Alpha News reports news with poor sourcing, such as using a Facebook page as a primary source: Gun-Control Group Issues Apology after Blaming Pro 2nd Amendment Groups and referring to their own experiences such as here: Anti-Sharia, ANTIFA, and Assault. Story selection always favors the right with almost daily negative coverage of Muslims, particularly Rep. Ilhan Omar. When reporting on Muslims, it is always negative, typically focusing on crimes they have committed or to illicit fear.
Alpha News routinely makes questionable claims such as this: New Evidence Supports Claims That Ilhan Omar Married Her Brother. This is an unproven conspiracy theory. In general, Alpha News reports news that is always favorable to the right and denigrates the left. Further, they lack transparency as they do not disclose their conservative bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- A group of Somali teenagers used hammers to physically attack and injure several passersby at a train station in Minneapolis in May 2019. – False
- Omar married her brother to get him US citizenship – No Evidence
- “Data from around the world suggests that omicron favors the fully vaccinated.” – False
Overall, we rate Alpha News Questionable based on extreme right bias, poor sourcing of information, promotion of conspiracy theories, and anti-Islamic propaganda, as well as a lack of transparency regarding ownership. (M. Huitsing 8/16/2017) Updated (02/06/2022)
Last Updated on February 6, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/23/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 23, 2022 at 10:30 am