Questionable Reasoning: Propaganda, Poor Sourcing, Lack of Transparency
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Launched in August 2014, Al-Masdar News, or AMN, is an English-language online newspaper founded by Leith Abou Fadel. Al-Masdar’s coverage focuses on news from Syria, Yemen, and Iraq. Al-Masdar has several Syria-based correspondents and claims to have sources within the Syrian military. The website has been described as pro-Assad and Syria.
Funded by / Ownership
AMN does not state ownership, though Leith Abou Fadel possibly owns it. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Al-Masdar News publishes world news stories from credible sources such as LA Times, Reuters, and the New York Times; however, Middle East news is poorly sourced, without links provided. Through a search, we found that one of the stories came from the Questionable propaganda source, The Duran. Further, BBC, Newsweek, The Independent, and the New York Times all described Al-Masdar as a “pro-government website.”
Al-Masdar says on their about page that they are an independent media service free from any political or corporate funding, sponsorship, or association. Still, western media refers to them as “Pro-Regime.” Finally, they have also been described as a source for Russian Disinformation regarding Syria in which they always favor the Government. In general, they publish pro-Syrian Government propaganda.
Overall, we rate Al-Masdar Right Biased and Questionable based on promoting pro-state propaganda, the use of poor sources, and a lack of transparency. (M. Huitsing 9/25/2017) Updated (12/26/2021)
Last Updated on May 26, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am