These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Ada Derana Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor the left-leaning government. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing techniques and one-sided pro-government propaganda.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: Sri Lanka
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
“Ada Derana” is TV Derana’s official website based in Sri Lanka. Launched in 2005, TV Derana is an entertainment TV channel based in Sri Lanka. Ada Derana’s web portal is a subsidiary of Power House Limited.
Funded by / Ownership
Ada Derana is a subsidiary of Power House Limited that owns the Derana Group of companies through Derana Macro Entertainment (Pvt) Limited. The majority shareholders are Dilith Jayaweera and Varuni Amunugama Fernando. Currently, FM Derana, Derana TV, Ada Derana (web portal), and Ada Derana 24/7 (TV) are owned by Power House Limited. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Ada Derana publishes Sri Lankan news using moderately loaded language such as this Namal says blocking social media is ‘completely useless.’ News articles reviewed do not use hyperlinked sourcing, relying on quotes instead. When reporting world news, they republish from other sources such as Reuters, Associated Press, and Al Jazeera.
Editorially, Ada Derana is known for its pro-government stances. For example, when reporting on government matters, they do not criticize the ruling party “Decisive meeting between President and PM?” In this story, they report on an important meeting between the President and Prime Minister even though they are bothers in the same party. When writing on the opposition party, they promote the government narrative such as this Opposition’s plan to use new normalization for protests is unfortunate – President. In general, the news is fact-based, but poorly sourced and one-sided favoring the Government.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Ada Derana Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor the left-leaning government. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing techniques and one-sided pro-government propaganda. (M. Huitsing 04/03/2022)
Last Updated on April 3, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- U.S. Senate Gives Final Congressional Approval To $40 Billion Aid Package For Ukraineby Media Bias Fact Check on May 19, 2022 at 10:17 pm
- Finland and Sweden Apply for NATO Membershipby Media Bias Fact Check on May 19, 2022 at 5:59 pm
- New Twitter policy aims to pierce fog of war misinformationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 19, 2022 at 5:43 pm
- Biden To Meet Swedish, Finnish Leaders On NATO Membershipby newsfactsnetwork on May 19, 2022 at 2:24 pm
- Texas asks Supreme Court to keep state social media censorship law in effectby newsfactsnetwork on May 19, 2022 at 12:17 pm