Media Bias Fact Check selects and publishes fact checks from around the world. We only utilize fact-checkers that are either a signatory of the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN) or have been verified as credible by MBFC. Further, we review each fact check for accuracy before publishing. We fact-check the fact-checkers and let you know their bias. When appropriate, we explain the rating and/or offer our own rating if we disagree with the fact-checker. (D. Van Zandt)
Claim Codes: Red = Fact Check on a Right Claim, Blue = Fact Check on a Left Claim, Black = Not Political/Conspiracy/Pseudoscience/Other
Fact Checker bias rating Codes: Red = Right-Leaning, Green = Least Biased, Blue = Left-Leaning, Black = Unrated by MBFC
You are viewing this page with fewer Ads
See all MBFC content Completely Ad-Free
|FALSE||Claim by Tom Cotton (R): “It’s President Biden who is proposing to cut Medicare Advantage.”
PolitiFact rating: False (The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and health policy experts say it’s inaccurate to characterize the changes as “cuts” to Medicare Advantage.)
Proposed Medicare Advantage changes cannot accurately be called ‘cuts,’ experts said
|Claim via Social Media: Vaccines make children allergic to nuts.
Lead Stories rating: False (No, but it is nuts to think that.)
|Claim by Robin Vos (R): In Wisconsin, even multimillionaires can be on BadgerCare “because we don’t even ask people what their income level is to qualify for free healthcare.”
Politifact rating: Mostly True (There has always been an initial check to make sure people’s incomes are below the threshold that qualifies for BadgerCare before they can be enrolled, according to the Wisconsin health department. But during the pandemic, federal law mandated that states could not perform typical checks to ensure that people’s incomes hadn’t risen to a point that would disqualify them.)
Vos is mostly right on claim about multimillionaires and BadgerCare
|Claim via Social Media: During his 2023 State of the Union address, President Joe Biden said, “Capitalism is exploitation.”
Lead Stories rating: False (Edited Quote)
Fact Check: Biden Did NOT Say ‘Capitalism Is Exploitation’ — It’s Edited Quote From 2022 State Of The Union Address
|FALSE||Claim via Social Media: “Humans are not causing climate change.” Magnetic pole shifting “is causing havoc worldwide in weather, climate, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc.”
Politifact rating: False (There is wide consensus among climate scientists that the Earth is warming and that humans directly contributed to this change by burning fossil fuels. Experts say there isn’t evidence that shows magnetic field variations are affecting climate change or causing disasters.)
Do magnetic pole shifts cause modern climate change and earthquakes? Science says no
|FALSE||(International: Philippines): President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. visited the Aquino Mausoleum and gave flower offerings to the Aquino Mausoleum in Manila Memorial Park on February 12, 2023.
Rappler rating: False
FACT CHECK: Marcos didn’t visit Aquino Mausoleum when Palace sent flower offerings
Disclaimer: We are providing links to fact-checks by third-party fact-checkers. If you do not agree with a fact check, please directly contact the source of that fact check.
The Latest Factual News
- A string of assassinations in Afghanistan point to ISIS-K resurgence – and US officials warn of possible attacks on American interests in next 6 monthsby newsfactsnetwork on March 21, 2023 at 11:21 am
- Chinese COVID data from animal market gives clues on origins of virus, scientists sayby newsfactsnetwork on March 21, 2023 at 11:12 am
- Montana senator wants to block mandatory diversity trainingby newsfactsnetwork on March 21, 2023 at 7:38 am
- US says China and Russia blocking UN action on North Koreaby newsfactsnetwork on March 21, 2023 at 7:34 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 03/21/2023by Media Bias Fact Check on March 21, 2023 at 6:00 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Citizen (Australia)by Media Bias Fact Check on March 21, 2023 at 4:00 am
- Judge blocks California law requiring safety features for handgunsby newsfactsnetwork on March 20, 2023 at 7:45 pm
- Mike Pence says potential Trump arrest would be a ‘politically charged prosecution’by newsfactsnetwork on March 20, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Be the first to comment on "The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 02/17/2023"