Americans are losing faith in U.S. institutions across the board, though they don’t agree on what is least trustworthy.
The American public’s faith in U.S. institutions hit an all-time low this June, according to the most recent Gallup polling data taken in the month of June. Only 27% said they had either a great deal or quite a lot of trust in 16 cultural, commercial and political institutions.
Levels of trust vary widely between Democrats, Republicans and independents depending on the institution. Democrats tend to have much more confidence in media, the presidency, public schools and organized labor. Republicans have more confidence in police, religion and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Congress, television news and big business have the lowest levels of trust. Only 7% of Americans have a great deal or quite a bit of trust in the nation’s legislature, the lowest confidence of any institution. Only 14% have high trust in big business, the same as trust in the criminal justice system.
Media are among the least-trusted. Only 11% of Americans have high trust levels in television news, and only 16% have high trust in newspapers.
Only 23% said they have high trust in the presidency, the lowest on record.
Only two institutions have a majority of Americans’ trust. Small businesses are the most trusted institution, with 68% of the country saying they have a high level of confidence. The military is second with 64%, and police are third with 45%
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/19/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 19, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Higher Perspectiveby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 19, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Brian Stelter to depart CNN as it cancels 'Reliable Sources' media showby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 18, 2022 at 6:10 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/18/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 18, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bemidji Pioneerby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 18, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/17/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 17, 2022 at 10:30 am