These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Daily Beast Left-Biased due to story selection that favors the left and High for factual reporting based on proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record in relation to the volume of stories they publish.
According to its about page, The Daily Beast is a news and opinion website focusing on politics, power and pop culture that is headquartered in New York City. The Daily Beast was founded in 2008 by magazine editor, columnist, and talk-show host Tina Brown. In 2010, The Daily Beast and Newsweek merged in a joint venture and was named The Newsweek Daily Beast Company, which lasted for 2 years. In 2013, Editor-in-Chief and founder Tina Brown announced her departure. John Avlon then became Editor-in-Chief. He was the former associate editor for The New York Sun and speechwriter for former New York mayor Rudolph Giuliani. In May of 2018, Avlon announced his departure from The Daily Beast. Currently, Noah Shachtman, who was co-founder and editor of Wired magazine’s national security blog Danger Room, serves as the new Editor-in-Chief. Heather Dietrick serves as the CEO. You can view the masthead here.
Funded by / Ownership
The Daily Beast’s parent company is IAC (InterActiveCorp). which is run by Barry Diller, who had led the creation of the Fox network. IAC’s CEO is, Joey Levin. IAC (InterActiveCorp) is a media and Internet company comprised of some of the world’s well known brands such as HomeAdvisor, Vimeo, About.com, Dictionary.com, Investopedia and more. The Daily Beast is primarily funded through online advertising.
Analysis / Bias
According to a Washington Post article, Editor-in-Chief Noah Shachtman describes how he will improve the Daily Beast. He states “I want us to lean harder into who we are”, explaining further “That means that if the Daily Beast is in the business of scoops — more scoops. “If we’re painting in bright colors now, I want to paint even brighter.”
In review, the Daily Beast tends to publish left leaning stories utilizing sensationalized headlines with emotionally loaded words such as “No, Rudy: Trump Isn’t Othello. He’s Iago” and “Imagine a Trump Who Could Constrain Himself and Just Talk About the Economy.” However, they do typically source the info in their reports by using credible sources such as Reuters, PBS, Slate, NY Times as well as sourcing themselves.
A factual search reveals that the Daily Beast has failed a fact check, however when brought to their attention, they issued a correction to the story. They have also failed a second fact check that was not corrected.
- FACT CHECK: WAS A ‘HUGE PERCENTAGE’ OF DEPORTED SALVADORANS KILLED OR HARMED UPON RETURN TO EL SALVADOR? – False
Overall, we rate the Daily Beast Left-Biased due to story selection that favors the left and High for factual reporting based on proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record in relation to the volume of stories they publish. (5/13/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 02/14/2020)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Council on American-Islamic Relation (CAIR)by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/14/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Issues in Science and Technologyby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/13/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WSAZ News Channelby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/12/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 12, 2022 at 10:30 am