These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate RFE/RL Least Biased based on neutral language and balance of coverage. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting versus High, due to infrequently publishing pro-USA Government propaganda.
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) is a private, nonprofit, multimedia broadcasting corporation that was founded and funded by the US government during the cold war era to counter Soviet propaganda. According to their about page their mission is “RFE/RL journalists report the news in 20 countries where a free press is banned by the government or not fully established. We provide what many people cannot get locally: uncensored news, responsible discussion, and open debate.”
Funded by / Ownership
RFE/RL is currently funded by the U.S. Congress through the Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG). The BBG is a bipartisan federal agency overseeing all U.S international broadcasting services. The RFE/RL president is former Associated Press Standards editor Thomas Kent and the Vice President/Editor-in-Chief of programming is Nenad Pejic.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) publishes some articles without hyperlinked sourcing. However, at the end of each article they source their information by writing “With reporting by AP, AFP, and Reuters.” They also use other news service agencies such as in this article where they list “With reporting by RFE/RL’s Russian Service, AP, Bloomberg, Interfax, Gazeta.ru, Dozhd TV, TASS, and The Moscow Times.”
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) utilizes headlines that are written in neutral tone, without bias favoring one side or another: “Russian, Tehran Concerned Ahead Of Trump Decision On Iran Deal” and “Armenian Protest Leader Holds Rally Ahead Of May 8 Vote.” They also conduct interviews and produce reports through their correspondents in respective countries, however it is difficult to determine their accuracy or if the interview actually occurred. From a purely news reporting aspect RFE/RL is balanced and sourced to credible media outlets.
Radio Free Europe was originally started as a Government run propaganda outlet to influence Europe. Overtime, they moved away from propaganda, however in 2016, they were criticized for running pro-Government Facebook ads.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate RFE/RL Least Biased based on neutral language and balance of coverage. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting versus High, due to infrequently publishing pro-USA Government propaganda. (M. Huitsing 5/8/2018) Updated (12/31/2019)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/07/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 7, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Cosmos Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 7, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Indexmundiby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 6, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Worldhealth.netby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 5, 2022 at 8:00 am