These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Metro UK Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks and many sensationalized headlines and stories.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: United Kingdom
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 33/180
Founded in 1999, Metro is a free newspaper published in tabloid format in the United Kingdom by DMG Media (part of Daily Mail and General Trust). The Metro primarily covers entertainment and local news, but also occasionally politics. The current editor is Ted Young.
Funded by / Ownership
The Metro is owned by DMG Media, which is a national newspaper and website publisher in the UK. It is a subsidiary of DMGT. The paper is funded through sponsored content and advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Metro covers local news through staff journalists with the use of minimal to moderate loaded language such as this: ‘Serious’ explosion engulfs Peterborough Whirlpool factory in flames. This story is sourced through videos, pictures and first person accounts. The story also covers sensationalized tabloid fare such as this: Try telling this woman her prorogue rage is ‘phoney’
Political news reporting is usually balanced and sourced, however opinion pieces are almost always opposed to the right. For example this article: Boris Johnson is no better than a tin-pot dictator. In general news reporting is relatively low biased, with several sensationalized pieces mixed in and op-eds moderately left leaning in tone.
A factual search reveals several failed or misleading fact checks.
- A baby was found alive in Grenfell Tower 12 days after a major fire in June 2017. – FALSE
- False claims of a coming ice age spread through ecosystem of unreliable news sites, blogs, and social media accounts – FALSE (Note: this story was corrected)
- A couple seeking to conceive via IVF discovered through DNA testing that they were fraternal twins. – FALSE
- Did a group of Muslim women escape jail for attack because they were ‘not used to alcohol’? – MISLEADING
Overall, we rate Metro UK Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks and many sensationalized headlines and stories. (D. Van Zandt 2/11/2017) Updated (8/29/2019)
Left vs. Right Bias: How we rate the bias of media sources
Be the first to comment on "Daily Source Bias Check: Metro UK"