Republished with permission by Knowhere News
Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) said Thursday she canceled two scheduled events over death threats — following controversial comments she made last week calling for government officials to be confronted in public.
“There was one very serious death threat made against me on Monday from an individual in Texas, which is why my planned speaking engagements in Texas and Alabama were canceled this weekend,” said Waters in a statement released Thursday.
The congresswoman was scheduled to speak Friday at a conference put on by the National Organization of Black Elected Legislative Women in Birmingham, Alabama. Safety and security concerns also prompted Waters to cancel the separate upcoming Texas event.
Last week, Waters made comments regarding incidents wherein Trump officials were heckled in public places. Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was confronted by protestors during her dinner at a restaurant in Washington, D.C., and White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was asked to leave the Red Hed restaurant in Lexington, Virginia.
“If you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd and you push back on them, and you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere,” Waters said at a rally.
House minority Democratic leader and Fellow Californian Nancy Pelosi pushed back on Waters with calls to civility, joining Republicans.
President Donald Trump tweeted on Monday, “Waters, an extraordinarily low IQ person” had “just called for harm to supporters, of which there are many, of the Make America Great Again movement.” The president added, “be careful what you wish for Max!”
Waters responded in her statement: “As the President has continued to lie and falsely claim that I encouraged people to assault his supporters, while also offering a veiled threat that I should ‘be careful’, even more individuals are leaving (threatening) messages and sending hostile mail to my office.”
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WCAXby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/23/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Science.Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Check Your Factby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 22, 2022 at 10:30 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/22/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 22, 2022 at 10:30 am