We were asked to fact check if Ruth Bader Ginsberg is going to step down now that Trump is President. There was an article published on July 8, 2016 by a satire-fake news website called The Rightists, that claimed Ginsberg said she would step down if Donald Trump won the election. On July 9th Snopes debunked this claim and rated it false. Since that time the false claim has been passed on by conspiracy sites such as Red Flag News and the DC Clothesline.
Ginsburg’s actual quote to the Associated Press in an interview on on July 8th is as follows: “I don’t want to think about that possibility (Trump), but if it should be, then everything is up for grabs,” Ginsburg told The Associated Press.
“It’s likely that the next president, whoever she will be, will have a few appointments to make,” Ginsburg, told the AP.
There is zero reference to her stepping down in this interview. She merely stated that the next President would have to make some appointments during their term.
Since the time this quote and fake-news article was published, Ginsberg has not mentioned stepping down.
We won’t rate this since Snopes has already done that. Ginsberg stepping down is just fake news that was spread on social media.
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am