These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Ukrayinska Pravda Left-Center Biased based on story selection and moderate left-leaning editorial positions. We also rate them Mostly Factual due to a lack of transparency with ownership, despite a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2000 by Olena Prytula and Georgiy Gongadze, Ukrayinska Pravda (The Ukrainian Truth) is an online news site from Ukraine. Ukrayinska Pravda offers news opinions covering politics, business, European integration, entertainment, and culture. It is published in both Ukrainian and Russian. Ukrayinska Pravda’s Founder and editor-in-chief Georgiy Gongadze was kidnapped and murdered shortly after founding the site with then-president Kuchma and two senior aides said being related to Gongadze’s disappearance.
In July 2016, a second Pravda journalist Pawel Sheremet was murdered. Ukrayinska Pravda is headquartered in Kyiv, Ukraine. The current editor-in-chief is Sevğil Musayeva.
Funded by / Ownership
Olena Yuriivna Prytula is the website’s co-founder; however, ownership information is not disclosed. Ukrayinska Pravda is funded through an advertising model.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Ukrayinska Pravda utilizes emotionally loaded language in their headlines such as “How Paul Manafort Brought US Politics to Ukraine (and Ukrainian Politics to the US).” A quote from the article reads, “It turned out that our ‘good old’ corruption can influence US presidential elections! After the Yanukovych cash scandal, the US media voiced a number of concerns about Manafort and his boss.” They also publish articles that are critical of Right-Leaning Nationalist President Zelensky, such as “Who is mister Zelensky?” and “White spots on Zelensky’s anti-corruption map.” In general, editorial positions favor the left, such as this Three nuts from Zelensky: how the president proposes to save Ukrainian business.
Ukrayinska Pravda utilizes sources such as the Washington Post, New York Times, and the BBC, as well as Ukraine News Agency The Interfax, and local sources such as goloszmin.org, zakon.rada.gov.ua, and Robert Koch Institute. The news is generally reported factually and with a left-leaning bias in story selection and editorial positions.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Ukrayinska Pravda Left-Center Biased based on story selection and moderate left-leaning editorial positions. We also rate them Mostly Factual due to a lack of transparency with ownership, despite a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 11/27/2020) Updated (05/11/2022)
Last Updated on May 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am