These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate TRIBUNnews Right-Center Biased based on conservative editorial positions regarding social issues. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing, a few failed fact checks, and questionable statements regarding homosexuality.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
According to its about page, TRIBUNnews.com based in Jakarta, Indonesia is a news website that’s managed by PT Tribun Digital Online which is part of the Kompas Gramedia Group and is also part of KG Media Digital (Digital Media Group of Kompas Gramedi). TRIBUNnews.com is “supported by a network of 28 regional newspapers” that focuses on topics such as national, regional news, international news, sports, economic and business news, as well as celebrities and lifestyle. TRIBUNnews.com editors’ names are not disclosed. KG Media Digital (Digital Media Group of Kompas Gramedi) owns 18 regional newspapers, and online websites including Tribunnews.com, Grid.id, Kontan.co.id, Bolasport.com, Gridoto.com, Kompas.tv, and Kompas.com.
Funded by / Ownership
TRIBUNnews.com is owned by Kompas Gramedia Group and the Group’s founder and owner is Jakob Oetama with his son Lilik Oetama serving as the (CEO) of the group. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, TRIBUNnews.com publishes articles with sensational headlines such as “Jealous bencong angrily stabbed his/her homosexual partner.” The International Journalists’ Network explains the wording as “Indonesians use the word ‘bencong’ or ‘banci’ to denote a man who they deem as not ‘masculine enough’” and states that these articles are framed to promote homophobia. This article was published by medan.tribunnews, which is part of the TRIBUNnews network.
National news on the other hand generally uses neutral headlines such as “Jokowi Assigns Airlangga Hartarto to Lead the Economic Recovery and Handling Covid-19 Team.” When it comes to sourcing they use quotes and frequently hyperlink to themselves. Finally, they cover US related news utilizing credible sources such as CNBC.com through quotes, however, all hyperlinks still go to other pages on their website and not to the source of quotes: “Covid-19 Case Still High, Donald Trump Will Urge Governors to Open Schools as of September”.
In general, they poorly source news and have failed a few fact checks. Further, they do not criticize the government and hold a right-leaning bias on social issues.
Failed Fact Checks
- A young girl disconnected her grandfather’s life support in order to charge her mobile phone. – False
- Chinese national who “entered through Banyuwangi Airport” then “was caught and arrested”. – Misleading
Overall, we rate TRIBUNnews Right-Center Biased based on conservative editorial positions regarding social issues. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing, a few failed fact checks, and questionable statements regarding homosexuality. (M. Huitsing 7/22/2020) Updated (06/24/2022)
Last Updated on June 24, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am