These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Kompas.com Least Biased based on balanced story selection that covers both sides of issues. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to poor sourcing techniques.
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
World Press Freedom Rank: Indonesia 119/180
Kompas was originally founded in 1965 by Jakob Oetama. The Kompas online version launched in 1995 under the name Kompas Online and later became Kompas.com, which is a news website based in Jakarta, Indonesia, that is focused on politics, business, economy, and sports. The editor-in-chief is Wisnu Nugroho.
Funded by / Ownership
Kompas.com is owned by The Kompas Gramedia Group which was founded by Jakob Oetama and PK Ojong (who passed away 1980) that publishes 18 regional papers. The Kompas Gramedia Group’s CEO is Jakob Oetama’s son Lilik Oetama. Revenue is based on subscriptions and advertisements.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Kompas.com publishes articles that are neutral in a tone such as “Jokowi’s Son Follows in Father’s Footsteps in Mayoral Bid for Solo” and “PDI-P Secretary-General: President Jokowi Has Strategic Considerations to Form a Covid-19 Committee”. They also report neutrally about coalition leaders such as Prabowo Subianto who is the current Minister of Defence and is also the head of the third-largest party Great Indonesia Movement Party (Gerindra) which is conservative. When it comes to sourcing, they primarily use quotes from other sources, however, they do not link to the source. When reporting on political issues, particularly in regards to West Papua, Kompas.com reports with a balance, presenting both sides. Lastly, Kompas.com covers world news pertaining to the USA in a neutral tone such as this “Trump claims US has the lowest death rate due to Covid-19.” In general, they report news factually and with minimal bias, however they do not provide hyperlinked sourcing for readers to verify quotes and information.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Kompas.com Least Biased based on balanced story selection that covers both sides of issues. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to poor sourcing techniques. (M. Huitsing 7/21/2020)
Last Updated on July 21, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds