These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Herald Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting based on proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: United Kingdom
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1783, The Herald, based in Glasgow, Scotland is a daily broadsheet newspaper. The paper also has the distinction of being the longest-running national newspaper in the world. The current editor is Donald Martin.
Funded by / Ownership
The Glasgow Herald is published by Herald & Times Group, which is owned by Newsquest Media Group Ltd. Newsquest is the second-largest publisher in the united kingdom, publishing 205 brands including 165 newspaper. Further, Newsquest is owned by US-based Gannett which publishes USA Today. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. Revenue is derived through advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Glasgow Herald publishes local news about Glasgow as well as regional, national and international news. Local news is reported with low bias such as this Police inquiry under way after Herald memorial garden plaque stolen. National and international also is low biased in tone and derived from sources such as the BBC and the Guardian.
Editorially, they clearly label opinion pieces and name authors. Opinion content tends to favor the left with many stories negative toward Conservative Prime Minister Boris Johnson such as this Opinion Matrix: The union is sunk with ‘blundering’ Boris Johnson. They also have a section dedicated to concerns for climate change called Climate for Change. In general, the news is reported factually and with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Herald Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting based on proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 3/26/2021)
Last Updated on February 18, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am