These sources exclusively use humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues. Primarily these sources are transparent that they are satire and do not attempt to deceive. See all Satire sources.
- Overall, we rate The Chaser a properly disclaimed Satire website that leans left in bias.
Bias Rating: LEFT SATIRE
Factual Reporting: N/A
Country: Australia (25/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: N/A
According to The Chaser about page, they are a Satire website: “The Chaser is a satirical media empire which rivals Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation in all fields except power, influence, popularity, and profitability. Founded in 1999 as an independent, satirical newspaper produced out of a spare bedroom by editors Charles Firth, Craig Reucassel, Julian Morrow, Dominic Knight (and later joined by far more talented Andrew Hansen, Chas Licciardello, and Chris Taylor), the Chaser team has since gone on to produce Classic™ comedy in just about every corner of Australian media, including print, online, radio, television and Christmas crackers.”
Funded by / Ownership
Chaser Corp owns the website. Advertising and a shop that sells merchandise generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The primary standard for Satire sources is that they disclaim their intentions. The Chaser disclaims they are satire on their about page. A review of material demonstrates that they favor the left with most parody poking fun at conservatives as this “Alan Jones shifts to new platform of yelling opinions at strangers in the supermarket.” They also take shots at USA policy such as this” ‘Of course we trust the Taliban, we created them’ explains Pentagon.” In general, they are a credible satire site that fully disclaims their intentions.
Overall, we rate The Chaser a properly disclaimed Satire website that leans left in bias. (D. Van Zandt 01/04/2018) Updated (12/17/2021)
Last Updated on December 17, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am