These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence-based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer-reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias, but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: VERY-HIGH
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2006, Skeptoid is a podcast and website run by Brian Dunning who also contributes to SkepticBlog. Skeptoid is a myth, urban myth, and pseudo-science debunking site.
Funded by / Ownership
Skeptoid is owned by Skeptoid Media, Inc through Brian Dunning, which is a 501(c)(3) public charity. Revenue is derived through donations and store that sells branded merchandise.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Skeptoid primarily debunks four types of pseudoscience such as consumer fraud like magic jewelry, urban legends such as hauntings, alternative medicine such as detoxification, and conspiracy theories covering chemtrails, 911, and others. Articles on the website are transcripts/summaries of the podcasts such as this Aromatherapy: Sniffing Essential Oils. In general, they debunk pseudoscience and conspiracies with evidence and align with our Very-High factual category.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Skeptoid to be a pro-science source based on debunking conspiracies and pseudoscience with evidence. (D. Kelley 2/12/2017) Updated (3/5/2021)
Last Updated on March 5, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am