These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Project Syndicate Left-Center biased based editorial positions that favor a left-leaning globalist position. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: Czech Republic
World Press Freedom Rank: Czech Republic 40/180
Founded in 1995, Project Syndicate is a non-profit organization that provides readers with original commentaries by prominent political leaders and thinkers, scholars, economists. Their headquarters is in Prague, Czech Republic. Project Syndicate includes nearly 500 media outlets in more than 150 countries. They indicate their purpose as “Promotion of media freedom and increased accessibility to a variety of global opinions.” According to their about page: “Project Syndicate produces and delivers original, high-quality commentaries to a global audience. Featuring exclusive contributions by prominent political leaders, policymakers, scholars, business leaders, and civic activists from around the world, we provide news media and their readers’ cutting-edge analysis and insight, regardless of ability to pay.”
Funded by / Ownership
Project Syndicate is a nonprofit that charges full price for original content to developed countries and provides it free or low cost to developing countries. Revenue is also derived through sales of their yearly print magazine as well as donations. Project Syndicate lists that they have received funding from the following: Open Society Foundations, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the MasterCard Foundation, the European Climate Foundation, the European Journalism Centre, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Knowledge Foundation, the Heinrich Böll Stiftung, the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, GAM, the Google Digital News Initiative, McKinsey Global Institute, the Nature Conservancy, and the Sustainable Development Solutions Network.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Project Syndicate publishes op-eds for syndication by numerous columnists from many different countries and backgrounds. Headlines and articles vary in wording with some having a moderately emotional tone such as this: Is America Going Fascist? This story is properly sourced to the Anti-Defamation League, New York Times, and NBC News.
Editorially, Project Syndicate covers both left-center and right-center positions, however, there are frequent negative pieces regarding nationalism such as this Johnson’s Win Is a Loss for British Power. They also report unfavorably on President Trump such as this: Trump Will Make China Great Again. Finally, they frequently report on the dangers of climate change: Climate Change Is also a Health Crisis. In general, information on Project Syndicate is properly sourced and factual, however editorially they align with globalist and environmentalist perspectives.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Project Syndicate Left-Center biased based editorial positions that favor a left-leaning globalist position. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 8/25/2017) (1/22/2020)
Last Updated on January 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am